Meltdowns

Ok let's talk meltdowns. Hekili usually doesn't have them too often and I can usually redirect his attention. This morning was a rare case. We went to an unfamiliar setting to eat breakfast and he wasn't done watching his Elmo show in the car. Many parents will tell you that if you take away something that reinforcing most children cry ... my child cried and was not able to console him. He wanted to leave the restaurant. We got the looks of shock like why don't you quiet your child. There was one couple however that was looking with an understanding and genuine empathy. We spoke and I found that they were able to relate to my story of this morning.

It is nice to meet people who understand and don't judge you or your child. It felt good to know that there was someone in the room of people who were not telling their family members what they would do if it were their child. Another reason I am on the mission to bring on more awareness. I really need to start carrying those Autism cards around with me. I should put this blog on it in the hopes that people will come here to get a better understanding.

Autism meltdowns can be hard to deal with. I know a lot of parents give in to what the child wants and I find myself doing the same. This only reinforces their behavior. So instead I tried to redirect him by tickling. That failed but he started to scratch and said scratch. I gently ran my finger tips down his arms and said scratch. It calmed him down almost immediately. I think that sensory has a lot more to do with the meltdowns than even I had been aware of.

So for other who do have children with Autism and face meltdowns, please share your experience and what has worked for you.

0 comments: