People can't always tell ...

that Hekili has autism. We were at the pool yesterday and the lady that we see almost every couple of days there started asking questions. I told her that H does have autism and she wanted to know what it was. I informed her that it was a neurological disorder.

her: so it is in his brain?
me: yes.
her: what does it do?
me: he has a hard time communicating like you and I. He is developmentally delayed in certain areas like socialization and communication. He is advanced in his academics and far exceeds his peers in reading and such. He has a hard time telling me he has a cold or doesn't feel good.
her: how does he let you know?
me: he uses words he knows or he pulls me. we teach him to use appropriate words to let us know what he wants or needs. we have different programs we use to help him in communication and socialization.
her: how old is he?
me: he is 5. he should be inviting play at this age with his peers but really he is busy in his world and doesn't pay much attention to those around him.

this is basically where our conversation ended because my daughter wanted to get out of the pool. she told me that she had no idea. and really would not have known had i not mentioned it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

this ethel from greece, sara thank you so much for this blog, i found it to beautiful to see hekili progree... i dont know you nor live in the same country but i will sure start prayin for him...
i'll try to add you on myspace as well... take care and give many kiss to your kids... love